Cleaning & Packing Produce
As important as growing, harvesting and selling is making sure you can clean and pack your produce to what your customers expect. The post harvest process is so important, not only for sales but also to make sure that the produce stays as fresh as it can for as long as it can.
Here's 5 top tips for post harvest operations to keep produce as fresh as possible:
- Proper Handling: Handle your harvested produce with care to avoid bruising or damaging it. Use gentle techniques and avoid dropping or throwing the crops.
- Quick Cooling: Reduce the temperature of your harvested produce as soon as possible to slow down the ripening process. This can be achieved through methods such as hydrocooling or forced-air cooling.
- Moisture Control: Maintain optimal humidity levels to prevent excessive moisture loss or the development of mold. Use techniques like misting, humidity control systems, or proper packaging to retain the ideal moisture balance.
- Storage Conditions: Store your produce in suitable conditions to extend its shelf life. Factors like temperature, humidity, and ethylene exposure should be carefully managed based on the specific requirements of each crop.
- Cleaning and Sanitation: Thoroughly clean and sanitise your storage containers, equipment, and storage area to prevent the growth of bacteria or pathogens. Regularly inspect and remove damaged or spoiled produce to avoid contamination.
Implementing these post-harvest tips can significantly contribute to preserving the freshness and quality of your produce, ensuring that the benefits of regenerative agriculture extend beyond the field.View All Cleaning & Packing Tools
Get helpful blogs, videos and exclusive offers in our weekly email newsletter. Simply drop your email below.